Tuesday, March 24, 2015

SOLSC March 25th - This Week



Join me as I participate in the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. Other "Slicers" can be found among my students in the comments of my class blog. There are also several hundred teachers participating at https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com

This Week

This week 
I got to school early twice 
to make copies
and plan assignments.

This week
I bought soda, flowers and a book
as rewards for slicing
as things to draw
to read for my class spring trip.

This week
I apologized to two students
because I had not done it right
even if I wasn't 100% sure what needed to be done
I would have, could have, should have, 
done it better,
and I knew that.

This week
I coached an Ultimate practice
and a game
and emphasized  
love of each other
teamwork
the beauty of a disc in flight
and the wind!

This week 
I felt betrayed by a coworker's comments
by other things beyond my control;
that are old enough I should be over them
and I still feel angry
and sad.

This week
I planned a lesson
and then reworked it during the passing period
so it would be better
because it needed to be for the next group
and for my own professional pride.

This week
I sliced three times, 
wrote some comments
(but not nearly enough...I'm sorry)
posted, linked, checked, reminded, and encouraged.
My class is slicing like pros!

This week 
I did no homework one night
to visit with my out-of-town family
and felt guilty for wanting them to leave
and felt guilty for the work I put off until tomorrow;
again.

This week
I had wonderful discussions
with my students about their work
and their passions, their futures
and I am so proud of them and 
need to show it and say it more often,
and better.

This week 
a former student came by 
ready for college 
ready for change
and it was awkward and wonderful
to see her.

This week
the change around me is obvious
new teammates, associates, students
in the wings for next year
while the current ones still have 
a hold
on my heart.

This week
Is just two days old.

9 comments:

  1. So much in those two days. I often feel the same way on Tuesday. What is it about the beginning of the week? Love your line - "My class is slicing like pros." What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been one of those weeks for me too. So much going on inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the format of this poem.
    I totally get it!
    Our week is only a four day one. Yet, I feel like I've already worked 44.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great slice- you really expressed how much gets jammed into each day of a week that has just begun! It is almost your break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a busy life being a teacher. It's a life of its own with little room for the rest of life so
    "This week
    I did no homework one night
    to visit with my out-of-town family
    and felt guilty for wanting them to leave
    and felt guilty for the work I put off until tomorrow;
    again."
    Needs to be stricken from your heart. There is no - N-O - other job that can make someone feel so guilty about not working after hours at home and shirking our personal life than teaching can!
    Do not listen to it. When you retire, you need family, not students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This week you touched the lives of many with your words, your kindness, your dedication and your reflections. This week you should celebrate all you have survived, learned from and accomplished. This week is nearly over :) Great poem - touching in its raw honesty - compassionate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a really amazing poem/slice. So much happens in a week. I should consider doing a slice like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally feel this. It's only Wednesday, but I feel as though I've already put in a sixty hour week. Excellent write!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should be so proud of your students for how well they've been doing with their slicing! What a huge accomplishment.

    BTW: I love that you are the kind of teacher who apologizes. I think it's so important for kids to hear us utter the words "I AM SORRY" when we have wronged them. It's powerful to be the kind of person who can admit when s/he is wrong.

    Two more days left to the week. I wonder what else it will bring!

    ReplyDelete