Thursday, March 12, 2015

SOLSC March 12 - Attack of the Zombies!

Join me as I participate in the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. Other "Slicers" can be found among my students in the comments of my class blog. There are also several hundred teachers participating at https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com


The zombies surround me, eyes staring off into space, occasionally focusing on the world around them. The circle of bodies slump one way, or another, heads loose. Are their brains even functioning right now? Obviously there is enough activity to keep them "alive" but not much else seems to be going on.

A lot of people would feel fear in this situation, but I don't. I have my weapons, my resources and my wits. And while I'm tired, I can get through to this hoard of zombies and do what needs to be done.

"Alright everyone. I know it's tech week, the play opens tonight and you're pretty tired but we still have class today."

Middle schoolers, the week of their big play, the week after Daylight Savings springing forward, are pretty much zombies. But they're great anyway and I love 'em.











7 comments:

  1. YUP!!! That's what we do!! We love them, push them, and then at the end of the day reflect upon what we would do without them.

    It's almost Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were totally like zombies this morning, I agree. Good thing they are so awesome anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRAINS! That was definitely us this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny, I have a draft of a similar post about zombies, but I like your take on it better. It really paints a picture of what showed up to your class today. What were your weapons of choice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humor, clear directions, and well-timed candy.

      Delete
  5. Exactly. That basically sums it up. I like the description of the eyes staring off into space...

    ReplyDelete