Monday, March 16, 2015

SOLSC March 17th - Sunday Morning Comics

Join me as I participate in the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. Other "Slicers" can be found among my students in the comments of my class blog. There are also several hundred teachers participating at https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com

photo credit: The Sunday funnies? I AM the Sunday funnies via photopin (license)

I remember reading the Sunday comics with my dad and it's special to read them with my daughter now. It's always a special slice of my weekends.

Each Sunday, my daughter, Clara, and I shuffle outside in our pajamas and slippers to get the newspaper. It's usually sitting in the driveway in an orange plastic bag. Depending on how cold it is, we either enjoy a few deep breaths of the morning air, or scurry back inside quickly. With appropriate reverence, we turn the bag upside down and allow the paper to spill out, splaying all over the living room floor.

While this may seem a little haphazard, it's a great way to get all the sections separated and spread out. The newspaper people hide the Sunday comics inside of an advertising section and sometimes we spend up to five minutes looking for them.

Once located, we spread the comic pages out on the floor, lay down and I proceed to read her the funnies. She usually points to one and says, "Read me this one," or, "We haven't read this one yet Dad." I then give it a quick skim and may point out the characters involved, their facial expressions, or give cultural background so she has a chance to understand why it's funny.

Her favorites are the comics with children (Family Circus, Peanuts, One Big Happy) or animals (Sherman's Lagoon, Garfield, Marmaduke). She almost never asks me to read Dilbert or Pearls Before Swine which is good because the contextual humor and sarcasm associated with those are a little above her four and half years. We often read our favorites of the morning over again and have an extra laugh, especially since Clara says she knows why it's funny now.





3 comments:

  1. This is great. We have our own little traditions but we don't get the newspaper so not one like this. I lived with my husband (before we were married) at his parents house one summer. I remember they were always reading the newspaper. It was different from my house and my parents but I though it was neat. This is sure to be a great memory for your daughter someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you do this, Max, memories making. It makes me remember reading with my grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really fun, I'll have to make that a habit. I like how you said what Clara's favorites were, tell her I say hi! Nice :)

    ReplyDelete