Friday, March 13, 2015

SOLSC March 14th - Awake

Join me as I participate in the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. Other "Slicers" can be found among my students in the comments of my class blog. There are also several hundred teachers participating at https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com

Tonight was the second night of the Advanced School play (middle school aged students in our K-8 school). They performed The Miracle Worker and it was as powerful and awesome a performance as I have seen in my years at Logan. After the hugs and high fives on stage, my wife and I walked through the doors into the night air, which inspired this slice.



Awake 
by Max Maclay

It is different somehow.
On a deep fundamental level.
Something is new, yet...
Familiar,
Comforting.
Like the smell of cookies
As you step through the door.
You may not recognize it that instant, but
Soon you wonder
Why you don't bake cookies more often?

Tonight,
Outside the theater
It was different.
The darkness highlighting
That Smell.

"Did it rain I asked?"
"No. Did it dew?"
"What is that smell?"
"The Earth!"
Our teeth glinted in the moonlight.

The ground has thawed.
It is awake!

6 comments:

  1. I could imagine this scene and remember experiencing this before when I lived in colder climates. I am glad spring is headed your way. I love the way you said the smell was new, familiar, comforting- nice image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poem. Everything I love in such a small space - I felt the setting, the rhythm, the imagery. Thank you. Like Victor said, I'm glad spring is coming for you (and for me in the North East). Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a beautiful writer. I wasn't certain what you were going to say, so the anticipation of:

    The ground has thawed.
    It is awake!

    really made me smile. We've been without sun for almost a month here in Houston, Texas. Let's hope that Mother Earth reads your poem!

    Thank you for writing such a beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love this! It oozes SPRING and makes me incredibly happy! Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your poem...so vivid so thought provoking! I know why one doesn't bake cookies more often...cause they unfortunately are too fattening UgH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Can't wait for more life to creep through the earth!

    ReplyDelete