Saturday, March 21, 2015

SOLSC March 21 - Spot in the Garage

Join me as I participate in the March Slice of Life Story Challenge. Other "Slicers" can be found among my students in the comments of my class blog. There are also several hundred teachers participating at https://twowritingteachers.wordpress.com

My wife is off on a weekend business trip and the house is strangely empty without her. 

Spot in the Garage

The garage is especially large without your car.
The house is more silent. 
Clara's voice rings just as loud, 
but echoes a little 
without your love and presence 
absorbing it too. 

The cats and chickens are fed and fine,
our daughter is full,
for now.
She is happy and singing
while making potions 
of sand and dirt to feed the chickens.

I remembered to close the bedroom blinds last night,
but my feet travelled to your side of the bed
searching for your comforting presence,
missing it in the 
familiar dark.

The weekend chores will happen
(probably)
but without your efficiency.
Which one will I be finishing Sunday,
as your car fills the spot in the garage? 







8 comments:

  1. A beautiful poem, Max. Your opening line: "The garage is especially large without your car." grabs and hold me. I can see the large space that remains behind. I can feel the weight of that.

    Hope this is a poem you'll share with her when she arrives home on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will share it with her, unless she has already seen it. Thank you for your kind comment. The first line is my favorite too.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely poem - I had a catch in my throat as I read it. Made me remember my time away last year.I had a week long trip last year and even though my husband encouraged me to go to this writing retreat and I loved it, I missed him greatly. I know he missed me. I am going to the same retreat this year but he is joining me! I don't like being away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband travels for work. I know well those empty spots. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you wrote it to her, giving us a special glimpse into the relationship you share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely poem. Full of strong images,
    "my feet traveled to your side of the bed."
    I wonder what chore you will be finishing up when she pulls into the driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love that you miss her spot in the bed...love that you miss her help around your place...I hope you show her. xo nanc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weekend business trips are the worst - I feel particularly lonely then. These lines were really poignant:
    "Clara's voice rings just as loud,
    but echoes a little
    without your love and presence"
    She is missed!

    ReplyDelete