Wednesday, March 30, 2016

SOLSC #30 - Final Approach

To read my students' posts on the
Classroom SOL challenge click here
 

Introduction: Hello and welcome to my blog! This is the third year I have participated in the SOLSC and also the third year for my students as well! I teach students, ages 11-14, in a multi-age classroom at The Logan School for Creative Learning in Denver, CO. This year, I am hosting students from all three middle school classes and they are participating on a volunteer basis (with a few prizes thrown in for inspiration). I'm looking forward to being part of this amazing community again!


Final Approach

The passengers wobble in unison as the cabin is buffeted by turbulence. The baby a few seats up is crying, the red "Fasten Seat Belts" lights are red glows, getting increasingly smaller and unreadable the farther forward they are. White nothing surrounds us as we defend through the snow clouds into Denver. It's been several minutes and while I can feel the occasional turn of the plane, there is nothing to orient myself and I have a moment where I hope the instruments in the cockpit are working. I know it's silly but I always have to fight with the anxious part of my imagination, that can  create millions of scenarios, on take-offs and landings. And when the weather is bad, mountains or other planes or missed runways spark the neurons in my brain.

I lean over to look out the window and see fleeting glimpses of dry fields with lines of snow drifts left over from last week's blizzard. The sight of the ground makes me feel better and I know we will be on the ground in a couple of minutes. I hold my wife and daughter's hands, give and receive smiles and wait for the bump of the wheels on the ground.








No comments:

Post a Comment