Saturday, March 19, 2016

SOLSC #19

To read my student's posts on the
Classroom SOL challenge click here
 

Introduction: Hello and welcome to my blog! This is the third year I have participated in the SOLSC and also the third year for my students as well! I teach students, ages 11-14, in a multi-age classroom at The Logan School for Creative Learning in Denver, CO. This year, I am hosting students from all three middle school classes and they are participating on a volunteer basis (with a few prizes thrown in for inspiration). I'm looking forward to being part of this amazing community again!



Black Ice

The truck's rear lights flashed angry red, but the real warning was when the back end started to slide the left. The black asphalt, just wet from the snow until now, was reflecting the bright tail lights with the reflective sheen of black ice.

My heart jumped as I realized I was going faster than I should be and slowing to a safer speed would be tricky, at best, on the downhill grade of the highway. I tapped the brakes and felt the bump-bump of the anti-lock brakes kick in too quickly, telling me that the road was indeed very slick. Feathering the brakes, my eyes darted from the truck in front of me to my mirror. I quickly calculated my chances of keeping my car on the road, not hitting the truck or getting rear ended.
         
         Staying on the road seems good
         Truck has straightened out
         Car behind me has space and seems to be slowing

My brain slowed along with my car's speed, my heart was pinched but not panicked, and Green Day again seemed to come from the speakers. Another black ice surprise but no harm done.

I continued on my way...

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, scary on a flat straight away let alone on a mountain! It does give your heart a jump start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great description Max. Most glad you are safe. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of the road and the other cars surrounding, too.

    ReplyDelete