Monday, March 14, 2016

SOLSC #15 - Bruised!

To read my student's posts on the
Classroom SOL challenge click here
 

Introduction: Hello and welcome to my blog! This is the third year I have participated in the SOLSC and also the third year for my students as well! I teach students, ages 11-14, in a multi-age classroom at The Logan School for Creative Learning in Denver, CO. This year, I am hosting students from all three middle school classes and they are participating on a volunteer basis (with a few prizes thrown in for inspiration). I'm looking forward to being part of this amazing community again!



Bruised


As I pushed open the garage door into my house,
Hands heavy with grocery bags,
I clearly heard:

The swish of a bag leaning and falling in the back of my car,
                                                                            Of course the hatchback is open
The plastic crinkle as objects started to slide out,
                                                                             Oh no! I know what's next
Something round tapping the bumper
and then,

A staccato of heavy, wet, crunchy noises
1
2..
3
4
5...

6!

Followed by the sounds of them all rolling down the sloping driveway,
towards the gutter.

Returning with now empty hands,
I saw exactly what I expected.

Five Pink Lady apples
Strewn up and down the driveway.

One against a pine cone,
Three resting on the crack that stops my snow shovel
                                                                              Every Time!
Another in an iris...

The sixth is missing;
                                                                              Nope! Under the car!

I gather them up and put them into the bag,
Wiping off the dirt
And feeling the mushy bruised parts
Turning brown under the red/green skin.

I knew I should have carried all the bags in at once.


photo credit: La Pomme via photopin (license)




8 comments:

  1. I have had that happen with tomatoes ... more than once ... and they bruise ... I like the way your set this poem up, with a bit of mystery and the secondary voice.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. This slice is a great example of zooming in on the moment and painting that moment with details. I'd love to share it with my class to show how they can be inspired by little things that happen in their days. Would you mind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be honored Molly. Please feel free to use it an am example. Thanks for the kindness!

      Delete
  3. Oh no! This happened to me the other day with a cantaloupe that decided to roll out of the back of the car. I also have been known to pull an avacado out from under a seat every once in awhile too. Great slice that really captured the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! This happened to me the other day with a cantaloupe that decided to roll out of the back of the car. I also have been known to pull an avacado out from under a seat every once in awhile too. Great slice that really captured the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your description of the falling apples is perfect. I could see and hear everything as it happened! And, yes, I've had a few of those poor bruised apples setting on my countertop just waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your description of the falling apples is perfect. I could see and hear everything as it happened! And, yes, I've had a few of those poor bruised apples setting on my countertop just waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The description of the apples falling is great, this happened to me once with some peaches.

    ReplyDelete