Thursday, May 10, 2018

SOL #9 May 10th - Setting up the Sprinklers

Setting up the Sprinklers (Or anticipating it)

It's that time of year where the rains of April and May have greened up the yard, I've already mowed the lawn for the first time, the first wave of dandelions have gone to seed, and the garden is popping with salad greens, radishes, and wherever else we planted around St. Patrick's Day. But it's all going to need more water, even those darn dandelions, which means it's time to get the sprinkler system going.

Now I installed the sprinkler system myself (well I helped David anyway while he did it) so I know how it works (mostly). I've also started it each spring, winterized it each fall, and even fixed and improved it a few times. So it's not an unknown to me, but it's still be about a year since I've started it again and there is always something I forget, or the valve is broken, or I worry about just messing it up and not putting things back together correctly. So, it is with some trepidation that I put my "Handyman" card on the line and head out to get the water running again.

--Ten Minutes Later--

Well, I was hoping I'd get it going before it got too dark. Something is up with the valve from the house to the system and water came pouring from the brass valve-thingy where it shouldn't. Guess I'll be Googling stuff to see what I missed, lost or forgot in the process. Doesn't look like things will get watered tonight.

--15 Minutes Later--

After Googling what should be inside the valve, I see the problem. What I didn't mention before it that I took out the plastic doohickey things and a white plastic washer when I winterized it. It's what I was supposed to do anyway. Then, I taped them to my pegboard in the garage so I could find them again. But, during the winter, the tape unstuck and the doohickey thing fell into the recycling bin under the pegboard. I did actually find it and reaped it, where it stayed until I grabbed it this evening. Sadly, the plastic washer thing must have been recycled. So, it looks like I must by a replacement kit, just for the missing plastic washer, before we are ready for watering the yard this year. Oh sigh...the joys of being pretend handy.

Happy slicing!

1 comment:

  1. I always tell myself that I can figure out any project when I put my mind to it, but it ever really works out that way. If I were to set up a sprinkler system, I can’t even imagine how horrible it would go.

    ReplyDelete