Wednesday, May 2, 2018

May 2nd SOL #1 - Fifteen Minutes as a teacher

Welcome to my Slice of Life blog. Feel free to check out any of my earlier posts for examples and ideas of what to write about. This slice, I just wrote my interactions for fifteen minutes on Wednesday.


10:45 AM - Start writing my blog. My goal is to just write now and also include the various interruptions and questions I have during my day. Of course, as a teacher, I'm supposed to be interrupted and questioned a lot but we will just see how it goes.


10:47 - A student from another class comes by looking for a friend who might be selling a computer. They discuss it for a few minutes and I start to wonder what the student in the other class should be working on for his work.

10:49 - He leaves (hopefully to do work) and that corner of the room quiets down a little.

10:50 - Check in with a student trying to download a video program on her computer.

Still 10:50 - Some of the other questions/interactions I had while trying to start this blog just before
... [Interrupted by tour]

10:51 - A tour comes through and we talk about the loft, how everyone looks to be working, and that the trip board is complete and they should check it out.

10:52 - Quick interaction with an 8th grader about his continuation speech. He's not sure how to start it and I suggested writing what's important to him down and then write the beginning later.

10:53 - Talked to a student about his brain...brain model to be exact. Took about three minutes and it's about the 8th discussion we've had about it today and it's really coming into focus/completion. I also told a student who was mostly reading for an hour due to a headache to some other work.

10:56 - "Why did someone make a petition for _____ and _____ to bring their own food?" It's on my whiteboard and I guess some are getting tired of the food mooching.

10:58 - So before I started [Interrupted by students coming up to sign petition and general signature discussion] blogging, I talked with someone about his TinkerCad design for goggles, checked out some polar bear video bloopers, and suggested someone wash out the 2-Liter bottle they were about to use for a project

11:00 - The Challah bread dough is rising according to a student and the buying computer discussion has restarted. No wonder I can never just find a few minutes to edit work with all these distractions. And this fifteen minutes felt relatively free from interruption. I think I'll be signing off now and attempt to edit some work. Looking forward to a month of writing with everyone.



I just like this old picture of my
first whiteboard mustache so I included it.

3 comments:

  1. I know this life you speak of! It's nice to get a brief glimpse into your classroom and the going ons there. I love both the description and your interpretation of the meaning behind the events. It's heart warming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done and I can see how that happened. Thanks for the three minutes, funny way to say this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the only one who wants to recreate the whiteboard drawing at the bottom? also knowing who the people are makes it more funny and interesting to read. Nice job Max! Also the petition for _______ and _______ to get their own food got at least 18 signatures.

    ReplyDelete